Reset root or user password of linux (Ubuntu/debian) OS
If you accidentals locked-out or want to change the root/user password at any cost - you can reset it.
Side effect & Note: Previous users
login.keyringwill not work. Hence, you will loss all previously saved wifi/network drives as well as Google Chrome profile settings (until you remember the old password and unlock it).
To reset follow the following steps.
- Reboot pc
- Hold SHIFT during boot to start GRUB menu
- Highlight your image and press E to edit GRUB config (change will reset after reboot)
- Find the line starting with “linux”
rw init=/bin/bashat the end of that line
- Press CTRL + X to continue the boot
- Change password with command
- Reboot with CTRL+ALT+DEL
- Log in using the new password
If you want to backup your keyring file to try unlocking it later save the following file: